Sunday 24 August 2008

Dead Rising (update)

Ok, so I've had time to digest the shockingly poor release video of Dead Rising: Chop Till you Drop. Every critic out there is on the same level on this one: It sucks. Capcom hoped to wow us, but all they got was boo's and jeers. I tried to give this game the benefit of the doubt, and in some sick twist way, I am, just like T4....

So I've drawn up a list of demands on my top things I want to see changed the next time I see a gameplay demo:

5) Wii Exclusive Content: This isn't the most important thing right this very moment, but I was disappointed that the port of RE4 didn't have any exclusive content apart from the controls and more enemies on screen (apparently up to 40 character models at 7, 000 polygons each!). So I want to see Capcom pull their heads out of their asses (if it's possible) and begin to treat this port with a little respect.

4) Better gore effects (ala Resident Evil meets House of the Dead); seriously, I know the Zombie character models are bad, but the blood here makes the Original Dawn of the Dead's blood look fantastically realistic. Another thing I would like to see later on in development is better visuals. I mean if Solid Snake form MGS 3 is 5, 000 polygons, and the Wii can sustain character models of 7, 000 each at a level of 40 on screen at the same time, supporting high end 6th gen textures. Why can't this game support a character model over 1, 000, with basic 6 gen textures, at a populace of only 12? I mean they said they would have 100 zombies on screen at the same time, which by my calculations, you can at least support 100 x 5,000 polygon models, with high-mid end textures. Which would still leave enough memory for the main character models to have 10, 000 polygons and very high-end textures. So it beggars belief that this game looks so ugly, and why Capcom showed off this game at this stage of it's horrible life?

3) A wider range of objects to use as weapons: Apparently they've reduced the amount of background objects you can actually pick up and use as weapons; there is not much excuse for this, none at all really, it just saddens me, slightly more-so than the graphics.

2) A completely altered/original game engine: The RE4 system sounded like a good idea at first, but now I've looked at it, the pace of the game is slowed down so much, that you are likely to die of boredom, than fear or even the zombies. The pacing of the 360 version was fast and fun, and now it seems very slow, very very slow. I hope Capcom will further alter the gameplay from a RE4 clone, to a somewhat improved version of the RE4 engine, to suit a faster pace.
I'm also sick and tired of every game which seems to be good, that the gameplay and content being dummed down, because they expect every Wii owner to be a kid, or a retard. Give us a balance of hardcore games too, give some of your Wii gamers credit for Christ’s sake!

1) The use of a good soundtrack: I cannot tell you how much this game's sound-track sucks. The lack of decent sound effects astounds me, I mean, what is wrong with using the old sound effects from the first one, what is wrong with recording new sound effects, instead of using a 99p sound effects CD. The sound is one of, if not the most important thing in a game, and this game rapes the sound to death. Everything is over stock, and muffled. You wouldn't believe how much this annoys me, and that is why it's my number one spot. If Everything but the number 1 stop was ignored, and when they released the next gameplay demo, and all that had changed was the sound-track, the game would be about 2 hundred times better than it already is.

Ok, so now I've calmed down, we'll see if anything has improved next time, maybe I can strike off things from the list, maybe I'll have to add to the list, or maybe I'll have to make a new one?

This is Anonymous Gamer signing off...
You Stay Classy Internets!

No comments: