Tuesday 16 June 2009

Friday 13th Part 2


Ok so now Rob Zombie is doing a sequel to his "re-imaging" I decided to see if there was a sequel under way for the Friday the 13th reboot. Of course there is.

Now the reboot I actually enjoyed. I thought Jason was slicker this time around. I enjoyed that he was now more like Rambo that just another Michael Myers.

This time around they're "making the kills cleverer" I have no idea what a "clever kill" is. I guess Jason's going to study mathematics so he can throw his machete in such a way that it hits someone square in the head...Oh wait that's already been established that his archery skills are second to none. Then again what the hell else do you expect Jason to do day to day? I mean he's got an abandoned camp around the corner from his hole. He might as well practice his archery, go canoeing and play chess with himself. Lets remember this guy is disfigured - not retarded.

That’s why I like the first three movies, and surprisingly the reboot. I like the character of the grieving deranged mother. I like the irony of the son still being still alive, and I like the fact that like the mother the son is also a tragic villain. I mean he’s a product of society; he could be any of us as we were kids getting bullied if the conditions were right. The fact is he’s not retarded, he’s just had to survive, and hasn’t had psychological counselling. He just wants to live his life alone at Crystal Lake to grieve and kill anyone who disturbs him and anyone who resembles the kind of people who killed his mother. If I were a serial killer I’d probably be Jason.

Anyway another plotline is that we will see Camp Crystal Lake in winter in the snow which to me seems they are visually going to bring something new to the table. I've alsways been a fan of blood in the snow, so I'm visually looking forward to see what they do.

Apart from that all I can guess for now is that this is going to top the other film, and hopefully be less clichéd, but I think those are pretty high hopes. This is another Michael Bay produced Horror, there’s only so much you can expect.

What I'd like to see is actually more of a Rambo type movie. I mean imagine the scene from First Blood when the police are hunting him in the forest. Ok, now imagine the police hunting down Jason and Jason taking them all out one by one? How tense and cool would that be?

Ok now imagine that and put it in the beginning of the second X-Files movie where the FBI are hunting for a dead body in the snow. See where I’m coming from with this?

Either that or do “A Friday the 13th Christmas” where Jason is visited by the spirits of his victims and told the true spirit of Christmas, then ending up playing with some orphans (while throwing boobytrapped snowballs) and having roast bear that he just wrestled single handily. That would be awesome.

Fuck it, as long as it has "Let it snow let it snow let it snow" in the film, like in Die Hard then I'll be happy.

No comments: