Friday 19 September 2008

Robocop (Update)

Apparently Darren Aronofsky will adapt Robocop. Not only that but it will have little to do with the original series.

"What I like...is that Hollywood is making big films right now and I’ve always had an interest in that. The thing I like about Robocop is that it’s not as iconic as those other titles, and I think that fans of it will be open to reinterpretation. And yet a studio will probably back it because it’s got that tentpole feeling to it"

Aronofsky is not the first choice I'd imagine for adapting/directing the reboot of Robocop, and to be fair I think that's a good thing. However the first Robocop rocked, and I hope that they don't fuck thing too much in the ear. Sure a reimaging could have the minute chance of being good; but it has a very high chance of falling flat on it's face, much like Rob Zombie's "reimaging" of Halloween.

I hope to god they keep in all the plot elements that made the first movie such a great one. Such as Murphy's hideous demise at the beginning of the film, and the ED-209 makes a comeback, along with other iconic moments. I don't have much hope in this "reimaging." HOWEVER I think it is a clever/brave move to change the film, where most reboots/remake/reimagings try and fail at making someone elses hard work look like their own.

No comments: