Monday 1 September 2008

Guilty Pleasures?

Ok, with all the shit remakes coming out, not many movie series' are safe now-a-days. So if one of your all time favourite movies were to be re-booted; what film would it be?

Mine would be JAWS; just because I couldn't sacrifice Alien, or any other classic film series. So I'd have to sacrifice JAWS, however I'd have to have full control (mind control?) over who would be employed?

First of all the script would have to follow the novel slightly more. this is just to be different from the original; I never see the point with remakes, if they are just frame by frame copies (Psycho anyone?). So having allot more from the novel would be cool. However I'd like to try and keep the suspense of the original by NOT showing the shark until the very end.

Minimal CGI. I can't stand it when Hollywood uses CGI just because it's there; if you can physically do it, then do it physically. I mean over 50% of Deep Blue Sea was actually using almatronics, and the shark's looked pretty damn fine when the almatronics were in shot. Pan's Labyrinth used CG as a tool and NOT as a gimmick.

So who would I employ?

Well Steven Spielberg as Exec Producer/Producer - My reasoning is that he did the original, so I'm sure he can make the right decisions?

I'd have Ridley Scott to Direct. Simpley because of Alien. Despite his directorial genius, he did "JAWS in Space", and really managed to pull off one of the best films of all time.

I'd have Roger Deakins (No Country for Old Men) as Director of Photography

I'd have to have
Ted Tally to write the screenplay.

I'd have William Peterson as Martin Brody just because I think he:

a) physically matches my idea of what Martin Bordy looks like
b) He's a brilliant actor.

I'd be tempted to place Kiefer Sutherland for the Role of Quint. Now people here might start to ask: Is this guy MAD?! Kiefer Sutherland as QUINT?! Well I think he's moody enough to play Quint, however this would only be the choice if this was set in modern day America; If this was set in 70's America, I'd probably have Clint Eastwood just becaue of the age is perfect, and no offence to Kiefer but, Clint Eastwood is just the superior actor here.

Matt Hooper is quite the mystery, he'd have to be; Young, Handsome, and Geeky. I'm currently thinking looooong and hard about this one. All I know is apparently Spielberg (when asked) he said he'd have to sign up Tom Curise for a role. I suppose if there is any role to give him, it's the role of Matt Hooper; at least you get to see Tom's guts squeezed out of him, and eaten alive! :D (check novel for details). In fact having Tom as Matt Hooper gets more and more tempting every time I imagine him being eaten by a giant rogue great white!

If I could have the absolute power NOT hire Tom though I'd probably say Brad Pitt or Edward Norton.

I'd have to put Uma Thurman as Elien Brody. Just because.... I don't know to be honest, but she's a decent actor, however she only seems to really pull her socks up when in Quentin Tarantino movies.

This would probably be my dream team, IF I had to sacrifice a film to Hollywood in order to save other classic films from being raped.

Unfortunately, I've quite enjoyed picking and choosing cast and crew for a remake of JAWS. What does this mean?

From Top Left (Clockwise) William Peterson taking the Role of Roy Scheider's Martin Brody, Edward Norton/Brad Pitt taking the role of Richard Dreyfuss' Matt Hooper, Uma Thurman taking Lorraine Gary's Ellen Brody, and Clint Eastwood taking Robert Shaw's Quint

No comments: