Wednesday 22 July 2009

Nightmare On Elm Street (update)

Well what with filming wrapping up for the reboot of A Nightmare on Elm Street I better give you the first picture of Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Kruger, with another one being released on IGN soon, oh and of course I'm guessing a full reveal of the Freddy make-up will be revealed tomorrow at ComicCon as well as a teaser hopefully. I bet those in post production have been whipping up something with avid and after effects :P

So here's the new Freddy...

Yeah OK at first there doesn't seem much difference between the old and the new, but this one seems darker, and Freddy seems to be sticking to the shadows a lot more. Hopefully Bayer will stick to the shadowy Freddy for a while, and pull a Jaws and reveal him in the last act, but I doubt it, this is an MTV iPod generation style horror movie, suspense like that rarely happens in those slashers.

I'm also here to kinda apologise to Brad Fuller and to Sam Bayer. Although I do think Fuller does tend to butcher some classic films with no real reason to remake them, I do agree that some franchisees do need to be rebooted. I mean the ortiginal Nightmare (and Wes Craven's New Nightmare) and Friday's 1- 3 were all classics, the rest were awful; I'd have complained my heart out.

But lets face reality here: Nightmare on Elm Street SUCKED after the original. I mean I'm sure Brad Fuller loves the first Nightmare movie, I'm sure Wes is one of his idols, and I'm sure his heart is in the right place. The same goes for the Friday reboot. Friday's 1 - 3 were an amazing trilogy and then it was absolutely fucking butchered with all the others. So why not reboot? I wasn't too sure why they rebooted the Texas Chainsaw Massacre because if there were sequels, they were dead and buried.

However Fuller is doing a very brave thing, and I don't think many people have the balls to do his own contemporary vision of a classic (a high budget fan film), for that I completely salute him. He may be Bay's bitch but he's trying his hardest to please hardcore fans and people who don't know the arse-end of a classic film. I'm a budding screenwriter, and I share the same passion for film-making as he does. I may not critically see eye to eye with the guy all the time, but I guess that's what makes humans great. He does make some very persuasive points on his blog. So yeah, despite me being critical on your work, I guess I also respect you Mr Fuller, but I'm afraid I've only enjoyed ONE (I think) your Boss' films and that was The Rock; fuckin' A.

So now an apology to Samuel Bayer: Ok You have done some pretty cool music videos, and you are talented, but you must understand that it is very nerve racking when a fucking music video director; no matter how talented takes on a remake of a fucking amazing film. So yeah you get a sorry, but please understand. However Ridley Scott was just doing commercials before Alien, so this could be your "Ailen" good luck.

Anyway pretty excited to see what they release in 24 hours. But when the film is released next year and it's a complete and utter fuck up (sorry but it isn't possible, Freddy's Dead was pretty fucking scraping the bottom of the barrel there. But I assure any readers I will be just as critical and fair on this film as any other. I'm open to a new vision, and Jackie Earle Haley is a really good performer and can hold a lot of energy, so I'm very much 50/50 on this one.

No comments: