Tuesday 14 July 2009

Microsoft Office available online - FREE

I was looking at BBC News (probably the most reliable bar AlJazeera news, seriously want a true fair and balanced news story take it to AlJazeera). 

Anyway to rival Google's online range of web applications Microsoft have opened up a free lite version of office which can be used and accessed via the web. To be honest if you own windows Office is one of the most downloaded, hacked programs in the world, I don't see the point in web apps until the browser becomes our OS (like with Google Chrome OS). Then again on another side I don't trust an os that relies on your computer to be online all the time, it just means my privacy goes down the drain.

I'll stick with a solid "tried and tested" OS like MAC, Linux/Unix or Windows.  Especially when good applications generally are not made by google. When I hear google I just hear gimmick, and I want an OS which I can write documents, edit a video (and not on the shitty video editors like Adobe Premiere, Windows movie maker or whatever the MAC alternative is. I want something solid like Avid and Final Cut. I want to make special effects professionally via After Effects or Motion, I want to make a professional DVD using DVD studio Pro, I don't want some second rate google app. Fuck that shit.

Still all this is very exciting and a leap ahead,  it's just whether it's a leap in the right or wrong direction.

No comments: