Tuesday 14 July 2009

Alien Prequel or Reboot?

Well on one hand there was "aparently" an alien reboot, and I must admit as soon as I posted my last rant I discovered it may have actually have been an alien prequel. Unless both projects are going ahead like Evil Dead 4 and Evil Dead reboot, both produced by Sam Rami, although only Evil Dead 4 is allegedly written and directed by Mr Rami.

So it seems that Ridley Scott is doing a prequel. Now is it me or did anyone imagine the prequel to Alien being an Anime? Or is that me. I just imagined the story of the Space Jockey's to be well an anime. But no  afull live action prequel to alien is on the way.

Now there are two things preventing me from ranting at the moment: 

1) Ridley Scott is producing. Which means it doesn't matter what the writers or the directors do. Ridley Scott is responsible for every creative choice. If he doesn't liuke it he can shut the production down until someone sees it his way. That's what producers do. Which is why Kingdom of the Crystal Scull was an epic fail, not because of Steven Spielberg, but because the fact that George Lucas was producer and did re-writes to the original script. So hopefully Ridley might not have gone insane just yet, and wants to produce the kind of movie that works just as well as his original.

2) The relatively unknown director. Ok I had a go at the Nightmare on Elm Street Director, but that is because he's known for producing music videos, and not known for directing suspence horror and slashers. I'm not putting dwn the man for being able to direct a music video, I mean I'm not interested in the music videos he's made, maybe they're good ones? Who knows? The fact is that he better be damn good to do a faithfull reimaging/reboot of NoES.

Ok so this director is realively a newbie, he made some stuff that is unrated on IMDB despite being made in 1994 an 1996, although they get rave reviews, and Ridley Scott was directing commecials (yes I'm digging myslef a BIG hole on the NoES director here) and he turned out to be cinematic genious. 

So these are the two reasons why I'm not flailing my arms about in rage, and I will wait for the reports of the story details...

No comments: