Tuesday 28 April 2009

Darkside Chronicles (update)

Well now we have a gameplay trailer. Let me tell you that despite me regretting buying the Umbrella Chronicles for various reasons, I'm quite pleasantly surprised by this one. Will this be the only decent Resident Evil FPS?

Yes I know, once again it's on rails, but the mood set in the trailer is very creepy, there isn't to much of a musical score, which to me brings in more of the atmosphere. The graphics are vastly improved compared to the last 'Chronicle' game, I'm happy to see that they have put at least some effort into building up the RPD from scratch, and using some brand new zombie models. The RPD now looks like a bloody mess similar to scenes out of Dead Space or a modern day splatter movie.
I'm glad to see Leon and Claire working together, and I'm glad to see a fully remade Mr-X, G-Baby, G-Birkin and Lickers, as well as the giant alligator and spiders to add to the list of creatures that you'll meet during the game.

My largest beef with Umbrella Chronicles was the piss poor dialogue and mediocre to terrible voice acting. This is the largest improvement over this version. Voices sound credible, and the dialogue seems more natural, although Ada seems to be the same emotionless Keanu Reeves character like before, I don't suppose that could at least act like a lost civillian? Oh wait that BODY HOLSTER kinda gives you away....

However I do have beef with some aspects. During previous screenshots it seems they have already made Leon a bad-ass before he becomes one, although I'm pleased to know that they have still kept Leon a rookie cop. Also what the hell is up with the Licker hallway? Why is their DAYLIGHT flooding through the windows?! This is supposed to be Raccoon City at night time, not the day time. If they were outside lights they would be at least a colder colour tempreture. So what gives?

Anyway here's the gameplay footage courtesy of Computer and Videogames dot com

No comments: