Saturday 19 September 2009

Silent Hill and Resident Evil go Head to head

Well apparently Resident Evil: the Darkside Chronicles and Silent Hill: Shattered memories are going Head to Head this Winter for being pre-Christmas presents. To be honest I am in no possession to buy either. I'm skint. However through the miracle of odd-jobs, I reckon I can get one and get the other for Christmas, although now I'm an Uncle, so the Kid's first Christmas prezzie "has" to be brought. Anyway if you are wondering which you should fork out for I'd have to be honest and that is BOTH, but I'm having to personally shell out for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. This is why.

First of all, Silent Hill has always been the scarier franchise, despite me being a massive fan of Resident Evil, I just can't help taking my hat off to Konami giving us the scarier franchise: There is no way in hell that Resident Evil can take the crown from Silent Hill, even though Resident Evil came first and gave us Silent Hill. Silent hill just creeps you the fuck out.

The next thing is that despite having some amazing improvements to the previous installment Darkside Chronicles is again just another On-Rails shooter, and therefore any game that steps away from doing "just another shooter" is doing a good thing as far as when it comes to Wii games. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a 3rd Person um, Horror Game, yeah it isn't a shooter, which is another reason why this game brings something Unique to the Wii's console. Usually the Wiimote acts as a sword or a gun, or even a steering wheel. This time it does the simple motion as a flashlight and gives you the ability to turn left and right quickly. Removing combat ups the anxiety you will feel, because you know if you bump into anything unfriendly - you're fucked; you have nothing to help you apart from a few flares dotted around.

Another thing is the game reading your moves, giving each player semi-individual gaming experiences. I can't wait to play through the game as myself and see my flat-mate play through and see the differences and similarities toward our experience.

The only thing Darkside Chronicles holds is the fact that we are getting what is probably the closest thing we are going to get toward a Resident Evil 2 remake. Which is better than nothing.

I'll review both, but I think for £29.99 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories feels like a more worthwhile experience than any old Wii on rails shooter. In which House of the Dead: Overkill still stands out as the best damn Rail shooter the Wii has ever got. I'm seeing if Dead Space Extradition can add anything to the genre. Heck by now I'd be surprised if Darkside gives us anything but some new stories and a trip down memory lane for old ones.

No comments: