Sunday 16 November 2008

Dead Space

So It's Sunday and I have work, but before I commit myself to my work I'll start writing my review on Dead Space (dang that reminds me Tomb Raider-thon soon!).

When i first saw the advert for Dead Space I thought 'oh, look a cheap shitty horror game' especially as the game was made by EA, who to be honest are not the exact survival horror type such as Konami and to some extent Capcom are.
However a review by Spoony (www.thespoonyexperiment.com) changed my mind...

Dead Space for the first time since I played Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 a game has scared be. The atmosphere of the sound design is second to none, I even think it beats the resident evil remake! I found myslef many times ducking out the way of a monster swiping for my head behind my character. I was on edge for every turn in the game.
The best thing about Dead Space is that it proves that the Resident Evil 4 game mechanics can REALLY work and be terrifyingly scary.
I think the main reason is that you are trapped in space and you have nowhere to escape to. Yes the game does borrow from Bioshock and Resident Evil 4, but to be honest that's a 3rd person shooter's dream to combine them both. EA games has done that.
There are some very uniqe and cool mechanics such as being able to run around in Zero-G where any surface can become the floor; really, really nice.
Thne nemies are awesome, it's like they cross-bread the weird design of enemies in Silent Hill with the ferocity of the Xenomorph in Alien. In fact the design of the ship is very Gigerish, very nice.

The only problem I found with the game is what spoony pointed out, some of the technology is laughable, such as personal bullet time machines which can freeze an object in time, or slow them down for a certain period, whilest everything else is in real time. This is stupid, but you accept it as it's a game. Also the use of kenesis is a bit stupid, but you can shake that off more than the personal bullet time.
Some of teh weapons aare very stupid, but as a game, the weapons are very fun (except the flamethrower, that is LAME) to use, and the dismemberments and the way the bodies slip around give a very slimey feel to the alien bodies and the dead ones.

The graphics are pretty damn tight, but obviosuly had to be played down so it could fit on the 360, however this by now way gets in your way when playing it. This is truly an example of when a slight difference in polygons doesn't matter at all.

Alotogether Dead Space has in my eyes become an instant classic up with the greats such as Resident Evil, Silent Hill, System/Bioshock and to some extent the original Survival Horror: Alone in the Dark.

Well done EA you get a solid 8.8/10

No comments: